So, where does the concept of being a born again Christian come from? It comes from here:
John 3:3-6 Young’s Literal Translation (YLT)
3 Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;’
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, `How is a man able to be born, being old? is he able into the womb of his mother a second time to enter, and to be born?’
5 Jesus answered, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born of water, and the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the reign of God;
6 that which hath been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which hath been born of the Spirit is spirit.
There are actually two concepts in these verses:
- A person must be born again from above, otherwise they cannot see the reign of God.
- A person must be born of water and the Spirit, otherwise they cannot enter the reign of God.
The King James Bible translates “reign of God” as “the kingdom of God”, and I believe that’s accurate.
7 steps to becoming a born again Christian
These are the steps necessary to become a born again Christian and enter into the kingdom of heaven:
- Stop sinning. Call on the name of Jesus Christ to rid yourself of sin. Personify sin and attack it. Use this as an example.
- Get rid of pride and approach God on his terms. Even lucifer couldn’t get rid of pride. If you can, you’re already better than lucifer. Cut out questions that will get you into hell. God is not accountable to anyone.
- Fear God. He is an infinitely loving and an infinitely jealous God. Don’t get on his wrong side. Play it smart.
- Keep reading the Bible, praying, seeking God until he finds it convenient to give you a new heart – the “born from above” experience. This is a supernatural event. You have to keep asking for it, seeking for it and hoping for it. For some it comes even without asking for it but for others they labour for God for years before receiving it. John Wesley had to wait 23 years for this experience.
- You are NOT done. Now, you must walk after the Spirit of God. Cut out TV, mainstream music by walking in the Spirit. Use your new heart to listen to God. This is the meaning of being baptised in water or being born of water.
- God will do another miracle and put his spirit in you. You will love to read his words, do his words and speak his words. You will love to fast (only drink water). You will love to pray for others. You will love to fight battles in the spiritual realm. You will pray and your prayers will be answered. You will heal people. You will cast out demons. You will bear fruit and bring people to Christ. You will love God with all your heart, mind and soul. And Jesus Christ will cleanse your sins.
- You are not done till the day you die. You must continue reading, doing and speaking God’s word. Only after your life is over, do you receive your crown:
2 Timothy 4:7-8 King James Version (KJV)
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
1 John 2:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
You can see why after being born from above and being born of water and the Spirit, that if people then turn away from God they could not have been God’s people. If you have been born of water and of the Spirit, it is actually impossible to turn back. Unfortunately, most people are not born from above or of water and of the Spirit. So the Bible makes no sense to them.
Ever wondered what true repentance looks like? The answer is here.